OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY: INCIDENT AND INJURY REPORTING
Cornerstone College Cambridge recognises that the health and safety of its staff and students is a priority and that if accidents or incidents do occur, they should be reported. Incidents should be investigated to ensure that the possibility of recurrence or further risk is minimised.
Cornerstone College Cambridge understands the importance of incident reporting and investigation and has developed hazard inspection, hazard reporting and maintenance programs to minimise the workplace accidents or dangerous occurrences.
This policy applies to all employees, students, volunteers, contractors and visitors under the control of Cornerstone College Cambridge
This policy has been developed to ensure that all employees (including volunteers) understand the processes to be taken in the event of a dangerous occurrence or accident.
Incident refers to any event which causes or could have caused injury, illness, damage to equipment, vehicles, property, material, the environment or public alarm.
It also includes losses of containment, fire, explosion, non-compliance with environmental regulatory requirements, vehicle incidents and off-site incidents.
Cornerstone College Cambridge commits to preventing workplace accidents and minimising dangerous occurrences and will endeavour to achieve a zero-accident rate.
Cornerstone College Cambridge will:
- Provide a mechanism for reporting accidents, incidents, work-related illness and dangerous occurrences;
- Investigate accidents to determine the root cause with the objective of preventing a recurrence;
- Obtain statistical information about the accident or incidents;
- Meet legislative requirements for reporting accidents and incidents.
All accidents or incidents that result in an injury or work-related illness during the course of work must immediately be reported to the First Aid Officer and Occupational Health and Safety Representative.
Any dangerous occurrence which has the potential to result in injury or damage to property must be reported in the same manner as an accident.
In the event of a dangerous occurrence or accident Cornerstone College Cambridge must ensure the relevant authorities are notified and that a full investigation is undertaken to determine the root cause.
The most appropriate corrective action will be taken to ensure the incident does not recur.
It is the responsibility of the Principal to ensure that:
- Staff Members notify the Occupational Health and Safety Representative of all dangerous occurrences;
- Staff Members are aware and understand the principles of incident and accident reporting and investigation;
- All incidents and accidents that result in or have the potential to result in injury or damage are investigated and, where necessary, corrective or preventative action is taken;
- All matters relating to employee/student/volunteer welfare are dealt with in the most appropriate and timely manner.
It is the responsibility of all employees, including volunteers or contractors, to ensure that:
- Accidents and hazards are reported to management at the earliest opportunity;
- All requirements and obligations under the relevant legislation are complied with.
It is the responsibility of the Occupational Health and Safety Representative to:
- Help identify the causes of dangerous occurrences and accidents and develop corrective action;
- Ensure the relevant Authorities are appropriately notified of all reportable occurrences or events.
All accidents or incidents that result in an injury or illness at work must be reported to the Occupational Health and Safety Representative within 24 hours of the incident occurring.
Any workplace accident or incident (dangerous occurrence) which has the potential to result in injury or damage to property must be reported in the same manner as an incident or accident that results in injury or damage.
All injuries and illnesses must be assessed by a qualified First Aid Officer to determine whether medical treatment is required. The relevant Staff Member must advise the Principal Site Manager of all injuries or illnesses.
If medical treatment is required, suitable arrangements should be made for transport to a doctor or hospital. It must be noted that:
- All eye injuries (including foreign objects between the eye and eye lid which is not dirt or dust particles) must be referred to a doctor or hospital.
- When injury or illness involves a chemical, a Material Safety Data Sheet and other information which may have been prepared for such incidents must accompany the injured person to the doctor or hospital.
The Occupational Health and Safety Representative must be notified immediately in the event of any incident which occurs.
The following documents must be completed for all incidents and injuries involving employees, students, volunteers, agency staff, contractors, visitors or the general public:
- The Accident/Incident Report Form
- The Injury Register
A copy of the completed incident report form must be retained and filed by the Occupational Health and Safety Representative.
Each accident or incident must be investigated in consultation with the Human Resources Department to ensure that corrective or preventative action is taken as appropriate.
Senior Staff Members are required to liaise with Occupational Health and Safety Representatives to implement corrective or preventative actions arising from any investigation.
In the event of a death
Advise Emergency Services. If an incident results in a death, the site of the incident must not be disturbed until:
- an inspector arrives at the site of the incident; or
- an inspector directs otherwise at the time of notification.
The above does not apply if the disturbance to the site is for the purpose of:
- protecting the health and safety of any person; or
- aiding an injured person involved in an incident; or
- taking essential action to make the scene safe or to prevent a further occurrence of an incident.
Advise the Occupational Health and Safety Representative immediately.
The Occupational Health and Safety Representative will advise the Principal immediately.